Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I Love To Tell The Story

spider in web spider

Some days I feel like I have nothing to say. That everything has been said before. On those days, I question if I write because I actually enjoy it or if I’m just something of an egomaniac.

But I also know that stories are powerful. That people’s personal tales, including people I’ve never met, have helped bring me where I am today.

This is especially true of our adoption story and our limb different story. I’ve done my fair share of 2 AM other-people-in-the-same-boat story reading while nail-biting through the next chapter of our own.

But it isn’t just the stories of the similarly situated that connect us. Stories are common connections that transcend time. We all know the one about George Washington and the cherry tree and that one isn’t even true.

Some days I read blogs because I’m looking for advice or a good recipe. Other days I just want to know that I’m not in this thing alone.

I think that’s what we want. Everyone using social media, whether they’re posting cute pictures of their kids or their pooch, whether they’re knuckle-headed enough to be documenting the crime they just committed or what they had for lunch is seeking the same thing, connection. Don’t believe me? Then why does Facebook have a “Like” button? Why do blogs have followers? People are seeking different types of connection - validation,compensation, commiseration, a shared laugh - but we’re all ultimately seeking the same thing.

Maybe the guy typing out #atebadburrito isn’t just a twenty-something self-absorbed technology addict. Maybe he just needs a hug, virtual or otherwise. Or maybe he just needs to be heard.

Maybe so do I. Maybe so do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...