Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wonder

We’ve been doing science experiments lately. So far we’ve done milk painting and made elephant toothpaste. The milk painting was my favorite, but Ying and Luk Chaai liked the elephant toothpaste so much that we did it twice. It left them both with a sense of wonder.

I think I’m pretty in tune with marvel. I marvel at my children, about the people they are becoming. I marvel at how the evening light makes the grass golden. I get lost in a good book, marveling at how the author strings the words like milky pearls.

But I stink at wonder. Unlike my inquisitive son, I do not wonder how a pen works.I just get annoyed when it doesn’t. I don’t wonder why red and blue make purple, I just know they do

So, today I’m going to stand in a little awestruck wonder at the wild brilliance of this life. I will wonder why daisies have yellow centers and why a fork has four tines.

I will wonder if my prayers rise to the heavens like steam or if they arrive as falling music notes. I will wonder if our souls have colors and if there is a sense of taste in the life hereafter.

I will wonder about the inherent beauty of life and the glory that is mine.

_DSC1690

_DSC1871_DSC1869_DSC1874The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who knows it not, who can no longer wonder, can no longer feel amazement, is as good as dead, a snuffed-out candle. ~Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...