Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My, She Was Yar

 

junkets-001

These obviously aren’t from kayaking. I didn’t trust myself to take the camera into the water. These are from the beach when we met Ying.

My husband and I went kayaking over the weekend. We were in the harbour and could see all of the boats docked. Reading the names of the boats was half the fun. There was: The EZ Money III, Got Lucky, High Five and the Molly Brown.

Some of the boats’ names indicated something about the owner, or at least the owner’s profession. Boats like: Doc Time, The Verdict and Grainmaker.

We joked about what we’d name our boat if we had one. We came up with Big Gap and Little Gap, which represents the five teeth Ying and Luk Chaai are missing between the two of them.

But I identified most with the yacht, Blind Faith. Dental issues aside, our boat would probably most appropriately be named after this season in our life. A name like Feeling Our Way in the Dark or Left the Life Jackets at Home seems to fit.

I can’t remember the name of Tracy Lord’s (played by Grace Kelly) boat in High Society. But I do remember her line, “My, she was yar.” This crazy season of our life, well, it’s yar.

P.S. – Another good Tracy Lord line from High Society: “I’m such an unholy mess of a girl.”

P.P.S. – Yar is a nautical term meaning easy to handle, quick to the helm, fast, right. Everything a boat should be. What would (have) you name your boat?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...