Friday, September 27, 2013

Keep Calm and Sing On

winding path
A piercing scream let out, so I went running. Given the decibels and duration of the scream, I expected to find blood or grey matter on the concrete. Instead I found water. Ying was trying to pour water from a cup into a spray bottle and lost hold of the cup.

After I refilled the cup I told her she HAD to stop screaming when she was frustrated, remarking “we’re going to have to teach you how to curse instead.”

Grandparents of Ying, fear not, we won’t turn her into a salty sailor. But after I made the offhanded remark, I actually thought about what I’d just said. Ying gets legitimately frustrated and she needs away to work through that frustration. My telling her to quit yelling isn’t helping. I need to show her what to do with that frustration.

We have a calming jar. I actually made it for Luk Chaai but both kids like to look at the falling glitter, particularly when they’re already calm. Thus defeating the purpose. But as fond as I am of the calming jar, I don’t really think it works in this situation. 

Because I have one child who frequently gets compared to a “spider monkey jacked up on Dew,” Ying, Luk Chaai and I do yoga for kids together sometimes. (That’s a Talladega Nights reference,  courtesy of my husband).  So I’m going to try having Ying doing breathing techniques in place of screaming.

But I think the best technique may be to teach her a little song she can hum or sing when she gets frustrated. We’re going to find a song just for this situation and we will sing instead of scream.

I sure hope it works. Of course, if it does, my ears will be kicking me that I didn’t think of it sooner.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea!!!! Please let us know how it works! I am going to try this with Lia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS : I laughed at the Talladega Nights reference. That movie has some funny one liners
      Ally

      Delete
  2. Steve Green has an album for children called "Hide Them In Your Heart". My kids still sing these verses when they are afraid or angry or.... The video is made in the early 90's and their clothes and hair are pretty scary but my kids LOVED it. It used to calm Ethan down...my work for your little lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's a calming jar? Wondering if we should make one...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...