Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Read This, Eat This, Watch This

popcorn
We were at a nationally recognized children’s hospital last week and I was struck by something. There were no books in the waiting room. None. There was a tv playing a kid’s movie, but that was it.

I’m all for a quiet wait at the doctor’s office, but it made me a little sad. Where was the Highlights for Kids or those books whose stories all had a moral ending? Those modern day Aesop’s fables made a real impression on me. In one story a greedy girl grabbed the biggest cream puff only to discover that it was full of air, not custard. She, of course, learned to be less selfish and more considerate.

I learned something too. To this day, I never take the largest donut or pastry on the off chance that, it as well, may be devoid of gooey goodness.

But all that to say: I love to read and fewer things make me happier than seeing my kids lost in a good book. I’m always looking for book suggestions. Maybe you are too.

Here’s what we’re reading, eating and watching right now.
Reading: Me – Bellow Stairs, Wild Thing: The Art of Nurturing Boys
Them – Families Have Together (this was a library stumble-upon, it’s especially great book for adoptive families); And I Mean It, Stanley

Eating: This zucchini bread (you sugar the pan!), these Asian Pork Sliders and popcorn, the old fashioned way (we skip the staple and just double-fold the bag)

Watching: Life ( tv show about a wrongfully convicted police detective who, when exonerated, rejoins the police force but with a Zen attitude. It’s from 2008 so I’m watching via Netflix).

1 comment:

  1. I might have to check out that book about raising boys! Do you like it?

    (Also: the link to the zucchini bread recipe goes to a youtube clip about the TV show....)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...